Friday, June 29, 2012

Entrepreneur 3: Salem's Design


Salem’s Design is amazing, and if you would see it for yourself it would blow you away. Each and everything Salem sells it 100% handmade, mostly by lovely Ethiopian women. For example, the other day I decided to go into the basket weaving section of the store and just sit and watch the women weave. WOW how much skills does one need to create a basket. Its pretty complicated and well it takes a lot of work! The women were so lovely and very happy to see me. They would talk Amheric (language of Addis Ababa) to me, and I would reply in English. None of us had any clue of what were saying but somehow we had a great flowing conversation going for us! Everyday I try to visit the women and say hi to them, because they are just so lovely. I put in the order for my basket as well, so they’re going to make a reallllyyyyy nice and colourful one! I’m very excited. 


                                                    One of the Weavers making a Basket!


The main project I’ve been working on for Salem’s Design was to re-design the business plan. I do the writing and Taylor and Marissa (our friend from the USA) are working on the numbers and all the other parts. I completely re-designed the business plan to make it presentable to investors – since Salem’s design is growing fast!

                                                                Showing off her work!

Another super cool project I’ve been working on, and well just actually started today is the Leather Jewelry line! I, with the help of two of Salem’s workers came up with a beautiful leather bracelet that has a silver flower on it. I absolutely love it. (I will post a picture as soon as I get a good one). Tomorrow, Sentago (one of the workers) and I will head to Merkkato – which is the biggest and busiest market in town. I’ve been there once before, and almost got rammed by a bunch of cars, so for Forengies (Foreigners) like me, they suggest to bring nothing but money and to take off any jewellery. So tomorrow we will go and look for some more Leather, so that I can create more Bracelets!
                                                             Materials and Products

Were also working on a Brochure for Salem’s Design. She is so successful that she’s been invited to go to Germany and present her work there at the end of August! We have been taking lots of pictures of her hand made Scarves, Jewellery and Baskets and made it into a beautiful brochure with much help from one of our Ethiopian Friends, Ermias. 

I will probably post more about Salem’s Design soon, because there is always lots going on here!
Il keep you posted, and promise to update my blog more!

Cherioo from Ethopia!


1 comment:

  1. I can clearly picture how well you are getting along with all of the people you are meeting with your positive attitude and willingness to try new things.

    ReplyDelete