Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Time to take care of Business

Alrighy, so since I haven’t blogged in a while I have a couple things to blog about. This first post will be about the Workshop that ARC hosted in cooperation with Chinook (BC First Nations). The preparation before the workshop was a lot of work, since photocopying is not just walking into staples and giving an order. At the first place where we printed the cover pages, I had to manually feed each and every paper! It was brutal. The whole photocopying 110 booklet with around 60 pages each took us 2.5 days! Talk about Ethiopia, power coming and going – printer running out of ink etc.
Then the workshop was finally here and I have to say it was great in the sense that we met a lot of Entrepreneurs (some of whom I will talk in later posts) and others who just benefited from the expertise of our fellow Canadian and American speakers. The whole workshop was 4 days and we were pretty busy throughout it. At night, we would all go out for dinner usually. Sometimes we went for Chinese Food, sometimes for Korean and sometimes of course Ethiopian. The one thing about Ethiopian food, is that I really don’t like Injera – the bread they use to eat all their other stuff, since Ethiopians eat with their hands!
So the first week quickly passed. If I had to come up with one take away for the week it would be all the connections I’ve made throughout the workshop and that I now – 2 weeks later still keep in touch with and other aspects of business that I didnt know about before. It was also cool to be able to use my Marketing skills, such as the 4 P’s and things that I learned throughout my time at Sauder and apply them to real business situations! Who knew I would be using all those things I learned in class!
After the workshop, our friends from the Chinook team travelled to the North, which finally gave Grace (Minjin), Taylor and I some time to reflect.

No comments:

Post a Comment